Thursday, July 10, 2014

10 // Bold lipstick

My beauty regimen (if you can even call it that) is pretty bare bones. Every morning, various goops are enlisted to moisturize and conceal and gloss. Then come the powders: foundation, pink blush, and maybe sometimes bronzer. I wrap the party up with brow powder and mascara, say a quiet prayer that everything blended together in a human-looking way, and that's that.

If I'm feeling fancy, I'll put on lipstick. That's it, guys. That's my one beauty trick. Conveniently, lipstick is also the only bit of makeup I feel comfortable applying/experimenting without one hundred percent fucking up.

I know my way around red lipstick, and have learned to more-than-dabble in nude/neutral shades. Most colors under the pink and coral umbrellas can also pass go and collect $100 (I don't know how to play Monopoly so that reference might not be even close to accurate).

Two months ago, I decided to take a step out of my notably tame comfort zone. I packed up the six empty MAC compacts I'd collected last (you know about their recycling program, right?) and metro-d down to the store on Ste. Catherine. I was going to reclaim my free lipstick and, this time, it was going to be different. It was going to be dark purple.

The salesgirl was nice and matched shades to my skin tone and bewitched me (true story) into buying tons more shizz than I had planned to buy. Which was fine, because it happened to be the day before my twenty-seventh birthday and I was feeling particularly generous (toward myself).

Anyway. I went home with Rebel. Google it, a bazillion photos will help give you an idea of what the color looks like. 

I like it! Really! But... have I worn it out yet? No. Do I apply it when alone at home, then spend too much time mugging at myself in the mirror? Obviously.

The problem is that I don't know how to style such a... bold... lip color. Pinterest has been quasi-helpful. I think I just need some first-hand guidance from people who've ridden the gothic-but-bright-but-really-it's-just-so-damn-purple roller coaster. Anyone out there got any tips? The internet is a disgustingly huge place. And I've got some mighty cute friends. Before summer ends, I'm sure I will have finally Rebelled (LOL my writing is so gross sometimes) at least once. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment