Thursday, September 18, 2014

22 // Harvesting the garden



It's damn chilly out, folks. Full blown jacket-boots-and-scarf cold. In fairness, I haven't whipped out my Sorels (sexy) and down-filled coat/furnace. But still. I saw my breath in the air the other night! And not because there were onions in the burrito I'd eaten for dinner.

My point -- my question, really -- is this: When's a good time to cut my herbs and veggies loose from the garden? How cold is, well, lethally cold for these little plants?

Our garden isn't winning any prizes, but we did do a nice little job. In addition to the three (three!) edible tomatoes we grew, there's a shit ton (accurate measurement) of herbs running amok. Basil, Rosemary, Pineapple Sage, some weird Mexican plant that grew like crazy and is supposedly Cilantro-related... We have some stuff!

My mom insists we have until the first frost (sounds like the title of a Nicholas Sparks book) before it's time to collect. I scoured Martha Stewart's website to substantiate my mom's advice, but no luck.

The truth is, a part of me knows garden = summer, so empty garden = summer's over (or = squirrel massacre). Also, I'm a world of lazy, so color me reluctant to go out there to do chores that can still be postponed. Anyway, this might be the week, you guys. I'll keep the world updated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment